[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Sad National/ "old" days /judge shopping

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: dan-ann@xxxxxxxx, gailbauman1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:06:16 EDT

Yup...I remember when I would think nothing of driving 2 hours to a  MATCH.
 Come to think of it, those were more OB matches than breed  matches...

But by now I have a better idea where and when to show a breed dog.   If
it's an unknown (to me) judge, I'll give them a shot.

It's not JUST learning what "type" a particular judge likes, although
that's part of it, it's not ONLY having a dog in top condition  and beautifully
groomed, although that's naturally part of it, it's not  ENOUGH to have a
deserving dog (but without that stay home IMO, in fact without  that, if you
are serious about wanting any kind of success in the breed ring  don't even
bother growing them out, put them in a wonderful companion home), but
if/when a judge looks more at the top end of the leash or at who is on the
outside of the ring more than what is on the inside, that's their one and only
shot.  That's not just AB shows BTW.  So, when I was a newbie, I  didn't
notice.  The day was nice, the scenery beautiful, I'd wonder why we  didn't do
better then go to lunch w/ friends.  But then I started paying  attention...to
likes/dislikes (my dogs are/were always in good condition) and to  those
occasions when something wasn't quite "right".  And I started  stacking the
deck in my favor.

I don't think that's sour grapes.  Anyone that knows me knows I ALWAYS
congratulate the winners.  If it's a good dog, the congrats are heartfelt  and
I'm grabbing a catalog to see what "clicked". I am also my  dog's/handler's
harshest critic too.  (Even when we win! and there are a  handful of
handlers that will back that up, they've come out w/ points and  waiting for a
pic
I've said "that down and back was atrocious!!!" or "not your  best look!!")
And for the relatively small the number of dogs shown out of here  I finish
my share.  These days I usually finish them "smarter".  I  just try to keep
them out of "trouble" along the way.

And I don't think I'm alone in this...which doesn't help entries.

Truthfully, I MISS the days when I didn't even bother to look and see who
was judging.  When I get in that mood, I go back to performance.   Certainly
there's judge shopping there too but at least there is the bond that  forms
during training.

In closing, I think the location hurt this years National's #s more  than
anything.  The Specials # looks respectable.  As far as  dragging a bunch of
youngsters to Utah and dealing w/ transportation  issues...for what?????

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/25/2010 7:35:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dan-ann@xxxxxxxx writes:

I  remember back in the day....a friend of mine and I would take my first
show  dog to any shows we could make, and it was at least once a month if
not
twice - it was such a fun time - now things are so different!   Picking and
choosing used to not even be something we'd consider - we just  went because
it was fun and we loved going - now I won't be going to even  some of the
closer shows because the judges aren't good, and I just can't  afford that
any

++++++++++++++++++++++
Gail
You have  just expressed my feelings totally -  The breed I love I can no
longer  afford any more.  I am now doing with my corgi what we use to do
with
shepherds.  Going to show for fun and if we win(and we do) it is  icing on
the  cake

Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/