[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Propane furnaces... Sorry OT.../ well handles???/he...

  • From: "Connie" <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:44:52 -0700

We live where propane is all that is available and it does get very cold her
possibly as low as 45 below zero . We have a 500 gal propane tank and
usually fill it in Sept and then put in another 100 gallons around April. We
keep our house at 68 degrees ( that is very comfortable here ) It is a new
house and well insulated . The houses here have 2 X 6 walls and roofs, so
they are thicker than houses in some places, it is the law here because of
the snow load. It cost me around $700 a year to heat my house . In the
summer we don't  need air conditioning  as the record high temperature here
is 85 degrees , although I have never seen it over 84 at my house.  We have
a gasoline generator hooked into the house as an alternate source of
electricity in case the electricity goes out, which is not uncommon here in
Rural Colorado .We have that generator only routed to certain things . Well
pump bathroom lights , kitchen counter outlets , tv , refrigerator , kitchen
lights , maybe more, I forget .  My plan is to eventually add solar panels
with the batteries they charge and then the generator as a back up to charge
the batteries . That is the way that it is normally done up here .  Some
people have both wind and solar energy . They always have a gasoline
generator as backup . There are many people here who live even further back
than me that live only with solar and wind electricity .
At the rate things are going with all the dog legislation we may all have to
move to the back country .

Connie