[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Obed./Conf./ ring conditions

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:22:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2005 11:20:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
Call me crazy but I always  thought a
> highly
> trained obedience dog, was not bothered by distractions,  regardless....I
> know I would never dream of complaining about generatiors,  barking dogs,
> bells,
> etc....
I think people have already addressed this.  But, you can proof a dog til the
cows come home. but if the situation is something they aren't familiar with,
any dog can have an issue.
I proof my dogs in as many situations as I can.  All my dogs travel with me
and I use the shows to sicialize pups, get everyone used to noises,
distractions, people eating in front of them, whatever.  At the Nationals, my
Obedience
dog had to compete in the same area she did the herding instinct test.  Boy,
was she wound up for obedience, looking for those sheep :-)

As I recently posted, I had galloping horses go by this same dog, less than
15' from her nose while in the Obedience ring.  I was a basket case but she
maintained and never took her attention off me while in the ring.  That is a
properly proofed dog folks.  However, I firmly believe this ring set-up was
inappropriate for Novice dogs.  Each dog reacts differently to distractions as
does
the handler.

 It is up to the hosting club to ensure that the obedience people have the
same respect and courtesy as the conformation people.  If the rings are far
enough apart, the conformation people can do what they want regarding double
handling.  The obedience people won't even notice or care.

I show in both venues.  I double my dog but maybe not as vocally as some.  I
appreciate having the room to move around the ring and keep my dog's
attention.  When I am doubling my dog, I don't even notice the other people,
unless
they knock me on my butt, lol!  The same can be said when I am in the obedience
ring.  I am focused soley on my dog. (and maybe some galloping horses, lol!)
But, that is me.  Novices in either venue can be very distracted and nervous.
Even some experienced people get excited and nervous.  So the best of both
worlds is to make sure each venue has the best the club and facility can offer.

If people have a problem with it they can opt not to show there again.  But at
least the effort was made.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/