[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Fly Treatment for Ears/ why flies?

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>, GSD Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:46:47 -0700

I found this:

Home / News / Local / Local
Swarming black flies worse than usual in western Wisconsin
        • Story
        • Discussion
By KARI KNUTSON | Lee Newspapers | Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2011
6:40 am | (0) Comments

It's not just mosquitoes bugging people this summer.
snip

“They’re a nuisance, that’s for sure,” said Steve Huntzicker,
University of Wisconsin-Extension agriculture agent for La Crosse
County.

Huntzicker has noticed an unusual number of black flies this year. The
same is true in other parts of the state, said Phil Pellitteri,
extension entomologist with the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

snip

Black flies are attracted to moving bodies of water, making this area
a happy home for their up to three-week life span. They also like
carbon dioxide. When we sweat, we give off more, making us an even
more attractive target, Pellitteri said.

Read more: http://chippewa.com/news/local/article_

On Jul 11, 2011, at 7:38 AM, R. Steiner wrote:

I've been in this house for 22 years and have NEVER had a problem with
flies before.  This year they're AWFUL!  No other animals here except
for my frogs, and they're indoors and they'd EAT any fly that came
near them.  hmmm maybe that's the answer, buy more frogs :)

--Regina
3 GSDs in Somerset, NJ