[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Barbara Amidon / question/ contracts / both sides

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, stormygsd@xxxxxxx, Amytortoise@xxxxxxx, Fior49@xxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:14:00 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2006 9:40:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
> I know my preference. I'll breed a bitch when I want something for me.  I
> may
> keep something to grow out or a co-owner may, but the remaining puppies  are
>
> all the same price.  Health guarantees only.  There are some  lovely dogs
> laying on couches as a result:)

Agreed totally. We never do a breeding that we don't plan to keep from and
I've sold many a show quality pup to a great companion home. Have I regretted
any?Yes. There were some I'd have loved to see shown and some did get out a
time
or two but it wasn't the owners' 'thing' and companion owners don't like
their dogs being away from them so......

Some did become Champions though and their owners had a great time and some
stayed in the breed for many years before going back to other things.

I have also sold dogs on show agreements and been shafted. Sold a gorgeous
show male pup at the request of a friend to people they wanted to get started.
the local obedience group convinced them he needed to be neutered (they want
everything neutered and use scare tactics). I offered to buy him back if he
ever
became a problem and they assured me they wouldn't neuter him per our
contract. They did - barely a week later.
He was a littermate to Ch Rastus - and much better as an adult than he was. I
was sick and my friends were embarassed and horribly apologetic and we're
still friends but I sure have no use for the liars who bought him from us. Ch
Rastus has one of the nicest personalities you could ever ask for and has never
exhibited the extreme male dominance these people were convinced by the
neuter-mongers would come with maturity in his brother. it wouldn't have - and
I'd
have bought him back in a flash if it had - and loved the chance to do it !!

The same is true in performance dogs. Have sold dogs with potential to folks
who have done far more with them than I would have had time to......and have
also been very disappointed in others who have been sold dogs with potential
who have never lived up to their agreements.

So, it works both ways. We try, as breeders, to honor our commitments with
every dog and we do sell with guarantees that we stand behind but I agree that
it is much easier - and generally better for the pup - to find that great
companion home and let them go, hoping the new owners develop an interest in
showing with a little encouragement.

And, like Kathy, if we like them enough, we keep them ourselves. We've let
quite a few Champions go to 'retirement homes'  AFTER they were finished rather
than sell them as youngsters before they were finished just to make sure they
got where we wanted them to go in the show ring. It's the only sure thing.
Unfortunantly.
lynda

Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com