[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Barbara Amidon / question/ contracts / both sides

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, Amytortoise@xxxxxxx, Fior49@xxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:36:53 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2006 6:29:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stormygsd@xxxxxxx writes:
so  many
people have been sucked in by the "greats".. I know ethics and  integrity can
not be forced per se, but it sure might be if these breeders  are hit in the
wallet by an informed public.
knowledge is  power..declining entries could well be a result of folks simply
losing  interest as a result of being sucked dry by the so many  unscrupulous
breeders in the dog world..

I could tell you stories of  my own personal experiences that would curl  your
hair..

Ditto.  And it was after the problems I found I was hardly the first  that I
felt like screaming at everyone who said, "oh yeah, so and so------", WHY
DIDN'T YOU TELL ME AND SAVE ME THE HEARTACHE AND $$$$$$$????"

(No, they don't involve Barbara)

Here's a thought though, and maybe Peggy or others involved with different
breeds could enlighten us on how the other breeds handle it.

What would happen if we didn't have "show contracts"?  I'm not saying  there
shouldn't be a minimal health warrantee (mine leave with a vet  certificate),
but once a price is agreed upon between the buyer and seller, they  take it
home and if it's a star, wonderful!  If it isn't, why does it have  to turn
into
at best a revolving door back to the breeder, at worst, a lot of  acrimony?

I think there would be a whole lot less expectations if  the seller  was able
to say, "You buy him, he's yours.  Good luck, God bless, call me  if you have
any questions and if for any reason he doesn't work out to your  expectations
and you decide to place him, it's your responsibility to find a  nice
companion home."  No expectations of a replacement.

(And for a "newbie", if you don't know what you are looking at, bring your
handler.  It's actually more important that your handler like the dog than  it
is that you like the dog.  If they aren't excited about the dog, they  most
likely aren't showing the dog.)

Declining entries?  Trouble finding show prospects?  I think  another reason
is because there are so many wonderful companion homes out there  (willing to
pay a good price I might add) that instead of dealing with all the  nonsense
of "will he turn out", "won't he", "will the buyers handlers, friends,  club
members all agree he's a good one or will they withhold approval because  the
puppy/young adult didn't come from them", THEN the breeder is expected  to take
this young adult back, upset their own household/kennel, all the time  wearing
a smile, try to find it a good home, replace it and jump on the whole
merry-go-round AGAIN.....the breeder is thinking geeze, where's that phone
number
for the nice companion home?????  The one that's a forever home with  no
strings attached???

And Cynthia, I didn't miss the part in your post suggesting breeders hold
them back a bit and then charge more BUT the time that they are being held back

is just the time they need to be socialized, go to class, learn manners, be
housebroken.  So here's the choice...does a breeder pass on a nice  companion
home, reserve room in their home or kennel for a show prospect for  somebody
else, put all of this time and effort into a baby, hope they stay  together,
hope they prelim (even with a nice OFA pedigree, they don't always!)?  The
companion home won't be there at 8-10-12 months because they want a  cuddly 8
week
old.  If the dog doesn't turn out OR if the show home doesn't  materialize the
breeder will be glad to find a home at that point to give it  away.

I know my preference. I'll breed a bitch when I want something for me.  I may
keep something to grow out or a co-owner may, but the remaining puppies  are
all the same price.  Health guarantees only.  There are some  lovely dogs
laying on couches as a result:)

But I see (and have experienced!)  the negatives from both  sides.  So...how
do other breeds handle it and what if we just did away  with the whole show
contract (or expectation), replacement concept?

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_