[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: walnut extract and altering dogs...

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:10:15 -0700

When I first bought Moxie as a total novice, I was told by the breeder to use
various supplements (and yes, walnut extract was one of them). I thought it was
the flavoring you bought in the store and she got 1/2 tsp a meal until it got
boring, didn't work and stopped. (Did you know how much of that ounce is
water??? LOL)   I was told I used too little and not long enough.  Also to use
various supplements for her ears, coat and pasterns.  (Never had a problem with
them, but I guess this was supposed to be prophylactic).  It seemed that she
was destined for dry coat, light eyes, a tail that curled over her back and
flopping pasterns.   Since I ignored most of it (like training her for
obedience at the same time she was going into the conformation ring... a
supposed big no-no), it was interesting that at about 28 months, she had
beautiful dark eyes, a coat that was full and rich, great ear set and that tail
with just that fun flip at the end when she was especially joyful.

I have tried lots of the recommendations (NONE harmful),  I heard about, but
have learned that 1) they really don't matter in the ring and 2) really a PITA
and too much bother.

so the dogs when I showed toward the end of my dog showing years,  went in
"butt naked" a wash, a blowdry and here you are. Some of us are slower learners
than others.

On Mar 26, 2009, at 4:38:14 PM, "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>That is exactly what I am talking about. How can you truthfully breed your
>male dog to a bitch without people knowing that he indeed has light eyes and
>therefore the progeny may inherit these eyes and the bitch's owner is
>wondering why.
>To me that is altering, plain and simple. I am really surprised that this
>showed up on this list. How many of you are doing this?

I never have used walnut extract to darken eyes although I was told about it
years ago by a professional handler so the practice has been around for awhile.

--
Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org