[ SHOWGSD-L ] walnut extract and altering dogs...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:38:14 -0400

>That is exactly what I am talking about. How can you truthfully breed your
>male dog to a bitch without people knowing that he indeed has light eyes and
>therefore the progeny may inherit these eyes and the bitch's owner is
>wondering why.
>To me that is altering, plain and simple. I am really surprised that this
>showed up on this list. How many of you are doing this?

I never have used walnut extract to darken eyes although I was told about it
years ago by a professional handler so the practice has been around for awhile.
 I always though he was talking about a food supplement (like vanilla extract)
that you'd buy in the grocery store and that is safe for consumption by people.
 But - I've never looked for it in the store so I don't know for sure.

There are a lot of things to get on your high horse about as far as "altering"
goes but, IMO, this isn't one of them.  How many of us refrain from breeding an
animal whose ears had to be taped as a youngster?  Or a dog who had to be put
on special supplements and low protein diet because of down pasterns as a
puppy?   Should we get upset with people who use food supplements to enhance
coat?    I did once train a dog that liked to carry his tail over his back to
keep his tail down (he'd put it down on command and eventually kept it down
most of the time).  Is that altering?  You sure wouldn't have known that he
liked to do that when you saw him in the ring.

Anything I can safely feed my dog that will improve my competitive edge is fair
game as far as I'm concerned (and I'm not talking drugs).  It is not in the
same category as dyeing dogs or fixing tails and whatever else people out there
are doing to alter their dogs.

Laurie