[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: walking in the ring

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:25:25 -0800 (PST)

       Yes, and add to the list Ray Smith.  Also, Helen Miller Fisher told
  the handlers to walk halfway then let them out. Gait is any movement,
  walk, trot, gallop, pace, etc., and yes, any fault of gait is a serious fault.
  Therefore, why would a fault seen at a walk not be considered a fault?
  Granted, rear extension cannot be seen at a walk, but front reach can.
  False reach cannot be covered up because you can see exactly where
  the foot contacts the ground. One pass at a walk can show many faults
  that break-neck speed will covcer up. I am not advocating that the GSD
  be judged at a walk, but it's not a bad idea to look at them briefly at that
  gait after they have gone around a couple of times to take the edge off.
  If you are fortunate enough to have the 1997 video, watch Boss, a prime
  example of correct reach, extension, fewer steps taken, etc. without
  running at breakneck speed.  And what's this about being trained to go
  out to the end of the lead ?  Cannot they be trained for just about anything?
  I'd hate to see a seeing eye dog who could not walk, or a mine detection
  dog, or a search and rescue dog, nor do I want my dog to drag me down
  the sidewalk when I take him out on leash. I'll judge them at the trot,
  but there's nothing wrong with a closer look at some point.
                                               Carolyn

Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Walking is an invaluable tool to see
things like weak or rolling backs, bad
loin/croup, lack of rear drive, lack of work ethic and even temperament.
Ever try to get a spook to walk around a ring calmly enough to be seen? lol.
Walking is wonderful, if done after a bit of gaiting to take the edge
off....that way the dogs are more settled and easier to see.
Kathy Tank

POST  is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the original
author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of  any kind

PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL BE