[ SHOWGSD-L ] von Wilderbrands disease

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:08:05 EST

Had an interesting conversation with a friend in another breed this morning,
her Ch. bitch has been diagnosed with von wilderbrands, and was told that she
was active for the disease, advised not to breed her.  She is OK with the not
breeding of her.
During the course of the conversation, she is going to test her breeding
stock for the disease, and if they are NOT ACTIVE, but just a carrier she will
use
them for breeding.

The tricky part of our conversation is this,  I told her if I found a dog in
my breeding program that was a carrier for von wilderbrands, I would NOT breed
it and that dog would be eliminated from the program.  As you can imagine the
conversation was walking on egg shells from then on.

Since I do not have any experience with this disease,  can someone out there
enlighten me?

She tells me that the Doberman breeders have been breeding carriers for
years, any information would be helpful.

Thank you,   Diane

www.cavalierkingcharlesspanielsdebmar.com
www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com