[ SHOWGSD-L ] vets and obesity

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:22:26 -0400

Speaking of vets, good, bad and ignorant................

There is an employee at a pet store who brings her GSD to work.  This girl is
obese, so is her dog, LOL!  The dog is also not trained and territorial and
should not be in that store at all, especially off lead.  That is another
story.  Anyway, I made the big mistake of mentioning that she could use a diet.
 I was tactful, I thought.  But, the owner got all offended.  She told me that
her dog was a BIG girl and not fat.  She also said her vet didn't think she was
overweight either.  Then she told me what she was feeding her.  While both
foods are quality foods, combining them is overkill and overweight for this
dog.  She again said her vet told her the dog was not overweight.  This dog has
no waist and fat rolls over her shoulders and neck.  How is that not
overweight?  When I mentioned that most vets get minimal nutrition classes in
vet school and depend on dog food manufacturers to tell them what to sell in
their clinics, like Science Diet, she sort of agreed.

Now, I know we like our dogs lean, but obese is obese.  How does a vet not see
obese?  Vets, vet techs out there, what do you think?

Laura