[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: vets

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:05:46 -0500

Your vet should have no problem just dispensing simple medications like
dewormers (ie. droncit) or nutritional supplements like Fortiflora as long as
you have a current CPR-or client-patient-relationship.  This is required by
law-yes we as vets have a few laws we are required to follow.  If you have had
your dog examined by a vet in the last year the vet can prescribe medications
they feel are appropriate for the year without seeing the pet for every
prescription.

The other law that was brought up that is in no way made by your veterinarian
is the rabies vaccine laws.  These laws are made by each state, by the
legislature, often times with no input from veterinarian or the vaccine
manufacturers or researchers.  Some states require the first rabies vaccine be
booster 9-12 months after the last vaccine was given or the following vaccine
will only be good for one year.  One of these states is Massachusetts.  Most
states accept the first rabies vaccine for 1 year and then each subsequent
vaccine for 3 years.  Some states only accept a 2 year rabies vaccine (Rhode
Island).   These laws are set by the individual states and many veterinarians
work through their local state veterinary associations to try to change the
laws, but it is a slow process and WAY behind what is proven to hold true in
the research settings.  So, if you are unhappy about your state's rabies
laws-take it to the legislatures and write letters to try to get things
changed, it isn't your vet's fault, they just have to follow the laws.

Katie Halfen DVM

Casamoko Shepherds

www.casamoko.com
We have Puppies!!

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:21:51 -0700
From: texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: vets
To: kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes Katie,

I realize all that but if I just want some droncit I don't see why I have to
pack up all of my dogs to have an exam just for droncit.  I wanted to buy Forti
Flora from him but he wouldn't sell me any unless I brought the dogs in for an
exam.  Why would the dogs need to be examined before I could purchase a food
supplement? Also most vets here will not board your dogs if you give shots
yourself so even though I'm capable of giving shots, just like any moron, I go
to the vet for them.  That is when my dogs get their examinations.  When you
have multiple dogs, don't make a lot of money and show you have to economize
where you can.  So I buy what I can from the vet catalogs and do what I can by
myself without jeopardizing my dogs' health.

Diane

BISS Ch. Echo-Cham's River Phoenix OFA H&E AKA "River"
Da-Jo's Crestview Ironman AKA "Tony"
Candia's Hard Rock Candy v Tejas AKA "Rocky"
Echo-Cham's Satin Doll AKA "Dolly"
Tejas' Not Ready To Make Nice (deceased)
DB's Kurzon Dax of Starfleet,CGC,CD, HT sheep,PT cattle, TT (deceased)
Modi, CD (deceased)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/