[ SHOWGSD-L ] vacation - hold mail

  • From: Connie Cupps <cuppsconnie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 05:27:26 -0800 (PST)

www.c-j-shepherds.com
C & J Dog Boarding
3634 Idle Rd
St. Paris Ohio 43072
Reasonable Rates - Luxury Settings
Your Dog's Home Away From Home"

--- On Mon, 1/3/11, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: showgsd-l Digest V5 #25
To: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, January 3, 2011, 8:11 AM

showgsd-l Digest    Mon, 03 Jan 2011    Volume: 05  Issue: 025

In This Issue:
    #1:    From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Sam Lawrence
    #2:    From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    #3:    From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
    #4:    From: Cynthia Van Den Berge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Sam Lawrence
    #5:    From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: Pick your poison
    #6:    From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Chest, depth, gut & root...<G>

Msg: #1 in digest
From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 06:50:20 EST

Got this message from both Marion,Sam's wife, and Kathy Steen on  Sunday,
Helen Miller Fisher

Helen-  I wanted you to know Sam passed away this afternoon.  You  may pass
this on to anyone you think knew him.

Thanks and Happy New Year        Marion

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:03:52 -0500

The fancy has lost one of its great ones.  I remember the 80s when Sam
took the time to offer advice to a rank beginner (me.)  He had a kind
demeanor and what knowledge of the breed!  Please let me know if
anyone will be doing a memorial for him in The Review--I want to be
counted IN!

Penny in NC

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:06:42 EST

Sam Lawrence,was one of our Former GSDCA Presidents,serving that  office
and our club the two years before I became President. He and Marion were  both
GSD Judges, as well as being completely involved is the All Breed  Dog
World,with a number of top winning dogs. He was also a  collector  of art and
always used one of his  art paintings for their Christmas  card each year. He
has not been well for some time,and had home nursing care for  this past
year.   Rest in Peace Sam     Helen  Miller Fisher

Helen
Sam passed away this afternoon.  I  think the service will be on Wed.  He
is being cremated

Kathy

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: Cynthia Van Den Berge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 06:27:05 -0600

My dad and Sam were like oil and water..lol.  They knew each other not through
dogs, but through trap shooting...both were big, loud and had their own ideas
about things!  They never got along.  I like to think that maybe they can sort
things out sooner rather than later in the hereafter cause eternity is really a
long time!  Cynthia

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 3, 2011, at 6:06 AM, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Sam Lawrence,was one of our Former GSDCA Presidents,serving that  office
> and our club the two years before I became President. He and Marion were
> both
> GSD Judges, as well as being completely involved is the All Breed  Dog
> World,with a number of top winning dogs. He was also a  collector  of art and
> always used one of his  art paintings for their Christmas  card each year. He
> has not been well for some time,and had home nursing care for  this past
> year.   Rest in Peace Sam     Helen  Miller Fisher
>

> Helen
> Sam passed away this afternoon.  I  think the service will be on Wed.  He
> is being cremated
>
> Kathy

> POST is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the original
>
> Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
> in any post.

> PROSECUTED.

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:10:26 -0500 (EST)

I believe environment has a lot to do with bloat as well.  What about scenarios
where the dog has been away from home (for showing, training, stud etc) some
dogs are laid back enough and take everything in stride and then there are dogs
that do not.  I think there are a lot of factors, stress, genetics, food, etc.
I know a story where a dog was at a handlers for months for showing, the owners
happen to be in town and visited then left and the dog bloated and died.. to me
that clearly is stress related, like any health issue some can lie dormant and
be triggered by something.  Breeding is a crap shoot you never know what your
going to get health wise, every line has something, its like pick your poison.
Know your lines well and what lies in them and try not to double up, which is
hard because some won't disclose what they have experienced in their lines.
How can a breeder make an informed breeding decision without having all the
facts.  A
 majority of our dogs we breed go to
  pet homes who are loved and spoiled and the heart ache that these pet owners
experience when their pet becomes tragically ill and they spend thousands to
save their beloved dog.  Or  how many of us have had that special show dog and
it bloats, torsions or a litter that we have to put down, innocent puppies,
because of mega, its heartbreaking.  We have to do the best we can and be well
informed of what is in our lines and those we breed to and try not to double or
triple up on it, I think it an eye opener when you go to breed your bitch and
look around for something to breed to and notice that the gene pool is getting
very very small trying to find something that is relatively free of health
issues.  Ideally breed to lines that are free of health issues, sadly if we did
that today, there would be no litters and eventually no german shepherds, what
is the solution?  JMHO

Joyce

From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:11:05 EST

The part that was "not true" was when you posted   "I would   consider an
Irish Setter or any Setter  to have ribbing more like
our
GSD....and they are never listed in  "the  group""

I posted an alphabetical list of dogs where the incidence was common  and
provided the source for the list.

We've established the different species "bloat" or colic etc.  No  argument
there.  But does that mean we throw up our hands and say "shit  happens"
when we see certain doggy families that have a higher incidence than
others?????  Does it mean we keep breeding the same pedigrees, watch more  dogs
die
agonizing, untimely deaths and say "heck even rabbits can bloat,  shit
happens" or "bad luck".

I happen to agree w/ Barbara, Chuck Krueger, Dr. Clemmens (sp?) etc., that
there is a GENETIC COMPONENT.

I have no idea if it is recessive w/ incomplete penetration (Barbara's
theory) and no doubt there can be environmental triggers.  I don't need a  DNA
marker though to sit up and take notice that certain lines have a MUCH
HIGHER INCIDENCE.

You may be correct Carolyn when you opine "I  would seriously consider a
weak and long messenteric root to be part of the  problem though....."

Maybe.  And maybe THAT'S genetic too. And maybe we're dealing w/  something
that is polygenic.  Dr. Kruger's research led him to believe that  TG was
the result of heavy in/line breeding in some lines in the 80s and that  lead
to weakened immune systems. So was the genetic link for  TG weakened immune
systems????  And yet we see people breed into THOSE  lines.

I had a private post from someone who has a young dog whose mother and
father (both finished, lovely dogs, exciting pedigrees) WERE BOTH DEAD AT  4.

I don't need a DNA marker to know I don't want to go there.  We  don't have
a marker.  For now we have pedigrees.

I'm done with this.  There will always be the "shit happens"  crowd.  I'm
not one of them.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd  Champions

In a message dated 1/3/2011 1:49:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Not sure what I said that is "not true" in regard to  this post.......but I
would never argue that these
Breeds or ANY breed does not bloat.    Especially since that is my point!!
I believe every breed
and dog is capable of  bloat in the right circumstances....not to mention a
lot of animals of  other
species..
My point was that I do not believe a Great Dane has  the same rib and chest
conformation as our
GSD ( nor do I consider them a deep chested breed  )   and that I find
Setters to have a more
similar ribbing and chest depth....yet Great Danes  are always listed FIRST
for a "bloating breed".
I certainly don't find Basset Hounds  or Blood  Hounds or Goldens or
Rottweiler's or St. Bernards,
etc. to have similar chest and ribbing conformation  either........
In other words....I personally do not 'buy  into'  the "deep chested"
Breeds and breed types  being
one of the causes of bloat.

Carolyn    _marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
_www.Marhaven.com_ (http://www.marhaven.com/)