[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: : utility/Coats/ now size

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:14:02 -0400

Max does talk about over size in his book and the reasons why it is not
ideal with a detailed description as to why.
You just have to read the book. and a hint, look under the judging
chapter. I assume every lover of the breed has read it with care as it was
the
first standard of the ideal dog.
Lissa

In a message dated 6/25/2015 7:01:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Seriously........ how many problems and how serious of a problem does size
cause.....?
We have to learn to weigh the faults.
Again...our Standard is pretty clear. Some things are not even
FAULTS...but clearly listed as "undesirable"
and some are "minor faults"...some are " major faults" ...and then we get
to our DQ's. Some things are "desirable"
and in size it says the "desired" height, NO WHERE is it listed as a
FAULT.
We have a PLETHORIA of problems in the breed that are real problems. One
inch over or one inch under...compared
to the lack of powerful correct rear drive and long loins we are seeing?
I'll take the inches.....<G>
Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: Kathy Martin [mailto:foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx]
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: : utility and Coats

Another question.....since we're talking about breeding to the
standard.....how about "size"??? That seems to be totally ignored. Just sayin'
Kathy Martin
_foxtrotgsd@gmail.com_ (mailto:foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Carolyn Martello
<_marhaven@suddenlink.net_ (mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

My point was NEVER that a long coat is incapable of any
work.....EVER....and if it sounded that way I apologize for my inability
to articulate correctly. What I am SAYING is that a long coat causes
MUCH LABOR AFTER THE ACTUAL WORK!. Maybe you have to actually WORK to get
the ice balls off a coat ( hours )..before it will actually dry
off...the stickers, the dirt and debri and ragged tearing that a long coat
suffers
doing any work in any of those conditions to really understand what I am
saying.
When we throw the Standard out BECAUSE we personally do not herd, or do
Search and Rescue or Avalanche work orTtracking or need a Guide Dog with our
GSD....then we lose the Breed as it is meant to be. Our show dogs SHOULD
BE HELD TO THAT
STANDARD....mentally, physicallty and appearance-wise...whether WE do the
work with them or not.
Why would we even bother exhibiting dogs in competition against the
Standard if it doesn't matter because we don't use our
particular show dog for the actual work it is bred to do. The Standard
is to protect those qualities and characteristics......?
This discussion is NOT AGAINST ANY COAT that was or was not 'put
up'....but IMO more about our working Breed. Also
IMO we have a great Standard...easy to understand...the reasons are easy
to understand and the Breed is AWESOME
because of our Standard.

Again....show me someone looking for a great herding dog, search and
rescue dog, protection dog, avalanche dog that
says they will TAKE THE COAT BECAUSE IT HAS MORE FRONT REACH.....and be
willing to spend the hours after
the actual work ....working again....trying to clean and groom the
dog..... and I will call it a day on this subject.
( There is a lot I cannot explain about Puli's or Beardies or
Komidors.....<G> I don't own one by choice.
Carolyn _marhaven@suddenlink.net_ (mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
_www.marhaven.com_ (http://www.marhaven.com/)

On Behalf Of _edwinx@comcast.net_ (mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Three points here: 1.none of the dogs in the ring are "working" 2. It is
an incorrect assumption that a coat because of its hair length has a utility
disadvantage ( working ability has more to do with stamina and mental
drive than anything else... Look at the Komidor with all those dread-locks!
And
3. Putting up a coat at a show does NOT mean the quality of the other dogs
was poor! It means the coat in that judges mind was superior!... I know we
aren't supposed to talk about individual dogs on the list but Tracy
Radigan has a coat that just blows me away! I have no issue losing to that
bitch
and I think my bitch ( Liz's bitch)is very nice! Ed

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

From: _edwinx@comcast.net_ (mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx)
[mailto:_edwinx@comcast.net_ (mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx) ]

Long coat fault and ribs!.... The GSD standard says that the long coat is
a fault as are other attributes such as missing tooth, even bite etc
etc....... If that coated dog is better in every way than all the other dogs
in
the class with the exception of coat, then that dog should win! There is
no perfect dog !