[ SHOWGSD-L ] update on puppies that were not eating

  • From: "Debbie" <asyakgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:37:17 -0600

First I wanted to thank everyone for all their suggestions on my puppies that
weren’t eating.   Here is their update.  We did go back to my vet (not the
one who was initially treating them, that was the repo vet who had been seeing
them since birth, but to my local vet I always use).  I love this vet because
he works so hard to try and find a solution to any puzzling problem you may
have.  It is not unusual for him to phone me back two or three times with
suggestions he has found, in doing some research or from a later idea that
occurred.  Any way I digress.
2 of the pups (living with the co-breeder) were treated with (forgot the name)
basically it was a treatment for colitis (we did run a 2nd more in depth stool
sample and nothing was turned up, the co-breeder did not feel it was
coccidiosis – she has many years of breeding experience), it treated the
stomach and contained prebiotics and probiotics and an agent (don’t remember
what) that helped settle their stomach and intestines.  It took awhile but
after another week their eating picked up.  They are now eating their meals, as
well as plain dry kibble that is left out for them.

The three pups I have here, I treated holistically (as I started on the weekend
before I could go see the vet).  After some research on line, and a suggestion
from another GSD forum, I settled on a mix of things.  We gave some coconut oil
and then I took some pumpkin (prebiotic) and mixed in some slippery elm bark(to
help settle the stomach), I did this 2x a day (dividing the recommended doses).
 Then I would wait about 20 minutes and feed them.  I fed them kibble mixed
with some tripe (to help entice them).  It took a few days, but within a week
they were eating three solid meals a day (and are still going strong with it).
I also later added some Kefir for probiotics too.

They are now all going strong and doing GREAT!  The are eating very well, they
finish their meals (usually) in about 10 minutes and I have been able to
increase the kibble and decrease the tripe.  The are now only getting the
slippery elm bark on their food (although they have been feed a few times
without it too) and coconut oil 2x a week.

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions, I was at my wits end and the
support you can find here is gold.

Debbie