[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ugh...stud dogs

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 23:20:18 EST

Paula, this is a pet peeve of mine.

I won't allow a dog to be AI'd unless and until he is willing and able to
breed a bitch.  That means when she is ready, over my knee and when I say
"OK".  He isn't allowed to fuss and flirt for hours on end either.

(Actually, my boys learn "off" too.  If they aren't "right" I don;'t  want
an outside tie, so it's "off" until it's "ok", lol).

Too many people IMO don't want to take the time to start a young dog
right.  It might take all night the first time, he gets to flirt for 10
minutes,
then if nothing is happening, he and the girl get put away for a half  hour
and we try again.  And on it goes, and when he gets tired of me taking  the
girl away, an inexperienced stud dog gets the message. And it can be a  big
chore the first few times w/ a young/inexperienced dog, but there is
NOTHING  in the world so nice to have as a good stud dog.

I've seen too many dogs half-heartedly mount a bitch, be so far away they
might as well be in a neighboring State, then dismount, look at their person
as  if to say "I'm ready".  Swell.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 11/7/2009 11:08:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

In  speaking with a repro vet a while back, she told me that she is seeing
quite a  few male GSD's that do not want to breed naturally, can not tie a
bitch, and  do not have a healthy sperm motility (?) or normal sperm count.
(I think  I am wording that properly)  She seemed to think that our breed is
losing  reproductive vitality??  Sorry if I got the terms wrong.  I sort of
 understood what she was saying.  She said she is even seeing it in German
imports, but, mostly show dogs.  This does not bode well for our  breed.
Something must be lost when a breed can't survive without human
intervention.

Paula, 342 days and  counting