[ SHOWGSD-L ] two "types"

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hadori22@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Terry Cochran" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:29:40 -0700

entry? / two "types"

I guess in this part of the country we have many more specialty shows than
the west coast therefore we don't have to take our dogs to all
breeds..............Ricky

Paul opines...

I dunno...here in N. CA we have 4 Specialty Clubs that do 8 shows a year.
Within 200 miles we have Reno that does 2 so that's 10 Specialties. We go to
S. CA 4 or 5 times a year for another 8 to 10 Specialties so that's over 20
Specialties within 350 miles.

That said...We still go to AB's if the Judge's are knowledgeable. I prefer
the Specialty venue because the rings are usually larger and that's a good
thing. However, if the Judge isn't a good one...IMO only...I won't go no
matter what the venue.

The bottom line is there are good dogs and good Judges and the reverse. I
usually see good dogs win under good Judges. Judging the Standard is a very
subjective thing and each Judge interprets it in their own way. That said
there are those who interpret it more closely to "my interpretation" and I
will show under them in any venue.

In an earlier post someone posted that God made the GSD. I don't think so. I
think Capt. Max cross bred 3 breeds/animals to get the initial prototype.
What has emerged since then is the interpretation of various breeders. The
dog must be functional and it will be if the form is correct. Form follows
Function and Function follows Form. They are integral and I laud the Judges
that recognize that and won't show under those that do not.

Paul