[ SHOWGSD-L ] two short tales

  • From: NHANSBURG@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:05:29 -0400

Marie Valerio and her husband Vinnie were wonderful, warm people. They
lived in a private home in Brooklyn with a few kids, and some German
Shepherd Dogs. Vinnie worked for the Dept of Sanitation and I often saw
him because his route included the school that I worked at. Marie
showed all of their dogs. They had little extra money but a lot of
heart.
   They finally got a dog who started to really win in the show ring.
He was a lovely dog sired by Ch Falco Of Thunder Rock out of one of
their bitches. He picked up about ten points but no majors until Vinnie
Colombraro started handling him and got him a four point major. These
points were all acquired at local shows.We were all very excited for
them.
    That same week Marie was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She was
forty years old. Two months later she was dead. The dog was never shown
again. The family dropped out of dogs.

Danny and Connie Vail lived in Colorado. They owned a dog called Hy
Hopes Cenator of Lakeside.He was Br
ed by John De Hope and Connie Beckhardt and was Sired by Ch. Falco Of
Thunder Rock and his dam was Ch Coberts Jolene. He was originally owned
by Dan Dwier. In fact he was Dannys first German SHepherd. When Danny
got Melissa he resold the dog to the Vails.
   He was a wonderful handsome dog with a fabulous temperament. The
Vails sent him to me for three months. I was living in the ground floor
of my two family house in a two and a half room apartment that had a
long dog run in the back. I had several dogs of my own but all of then
got along.
    I got him OFA certified and John De Hope showed him at a few
specialty shows placing in 150 dog entries. With the help of Jean
Kuchar I got him bred twice. That was how I met Tish Walker. Sorry to
say her bitch did not take but the other one had lovely puppies. Jim
Moses told me that he could finish that dog for me.I told him i would
ask the owners.
   The Vails could not afford it. John and I were doing it for nothing.
The Stud fee pa
id for the OFAs. I sent the dog home and Don Kille took him and put
fourteen points on him but could not get him done. Majors kept
breaking. Finally the Vails dropped out of Dogs.

  Why do I tell these stories. These were good people with really nice
dogs and they are gone from the Breed. Thanks to the Fords, Mary Vurma
and Jim Moses the blood of Falco Of Thunder Rock still runs in our
present day dogs. Would there were more of it.The dog sired thirty ROM
point wnning progeny and never earned an ROM because the people who
loved him could not afford the title. His full sister Ernestine never
did either although some people list her as having earned one. Not true
yet if it were not for them there would be very  few German Shepherd
Dogs around today.