[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tubal legation for neutering

  • From: "Threese Clark" <chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:40:50 -0400

Thanks for all your responses - I had never heard of this either and after
further checking what I think was done was an ovariectomy  I have never used
this procedure either but it is done around my area although usually on pups
not older bitches.

Many reasons exist for performing ovariectomies instead of
ovariohysterectomies in healthy bitches. Compared with ovariectomy,
ovariohysterectomy in dogs is technically more complicated and
time-consuming and is likely associated with greater morbidity (larger
incision, more intraoperative trauma, increased discomfort).1 No significant
differences between the two procedures have been observed for the incidence
of long-term urogenital problems, including endometritis, pyometra, and
urinary incontinence.1 In addition, there is no benefit and, thus, no
indication for removing the uterus during routine neutering in healthy
bitches.1

Further, a recent study concluded that laparoscopic-assisted
ovariohysterectomies caused less surgical stress and up to 65% less
postoperative pain than a traditional open surgical spay.2 Thus, I believe
that performing ovariectomies laparoscopically further reduces the incision
size, tissue trauma, and overall level of pain experienced by the patient
compared with performing an open ovariectomy or open ovariohysterectomy. And
because of video magnification of the laparoscopic image, some surgeons
think it is easier to visualize the ovary during laparoscopy than during an
open procedure, helping to ensure complete removal of the ovarian tissue.3

Threese

Limited Edition Shepherds (VA)

www.limitededitionshepherds.com

Last Hope Safe Haven for GSDs