[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: truth or rumor/Legal System?

  • From: "BlackHawk Farms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:33:25 -0700

Hi Guys,
Well I certainly understand the rationale, but being a black, I can also
understand how easy it is to find yourself in positions like the ones we are
speaking of and I can certainly understand. My mother always said that if we
did something stupid, of course, we were going to sit in the jailhouse until
we "UN-stupided". But sometimes, things do not go exactly right and one can
find themselves on the "other side" of freedom.

When I was about 20, I played French Horn in the University of Montevallo
Wind Ensemble. Our conductor advised us we needed a Tuxedo for our final
concert before summer break. Went to the Rental place, got a nice one,
performed well, got out of school and was headed to Texas to work for a
poodle breeder that summer in Hitchcock, TX. Before I left, I asked my older
brother to please return the tux that evening (Had rented up until Sunday)
and he agreed. Didnt think about it much more until about 6 months later
when I received a call from a friend of my late Fathers saying there was a
"warrant out for my arrest". A WARRANT? I was the good kid!  Called and
Check into it and it was a CLASS E felony "Fraudulent Lease of a Rental
Property".. I didnt understand, but then had to call and they said it was
with a Mr Birch Formalware and apparantly I did not return a Tuxedo from
last summer. Called my brother, and yes, he had forgotten, and it was still
in his closet.."cufflinks and all".At this point, it's not like you can walk
over, turn the tuxedo in and the problem dissapears. NO, I had to "surrender
myself", get fingerprinted, make bail and was "bound over for a jury trial "
(since it was a Class E felony).

The judge throw it out essentially because he had "cases of merit" on his
docket. I shudder to think what wouldve happen in this period if I were
pulled over on one of my customary runs to a dog show in some G-d forsaken
town where theres only one light and a county sherrif/magistrate named
Cleetus who has to wake up his brother "Buford" to get me a 72 hour hearing.

Needless to say, I purchased my own Tuxedo after that fiasco.

But, what Im trying to say here, is before we send Mr. Johnson outside the
city gates and stone him,  just realize, sometimes, mistakes, in the part of
the defendant or the otherwise, can (and do) happen.

Remind me one day to tell you the story of the mean looking Sherriff who
showed up at my place  a few months ago on a traffic Violation with an
arrest warrant for a "Failure to Appear" on March 10. Ticket said that I was
to appear in court on March 27th. Although he wasnt the least bit amused
with my , "Did you look into a Crystal Ball and see that I didn't show up 2
weeks into the future?" He did not take me to jail and he told me to "call
downtown and have them straighten out this mess".
The Charge: Failure to have the proper Identification on the back liscence
due to address change and going 44 in a 40 mile hour zone"... (and i had
just picked up a judge at the airport!)

So before we start condeming, lets understand all the details of whats going
on. At best, its an embarrasing situation to have to call someone and ask
for help, but nevertheless, we've all been there and a little compassion and
understanding goes a long way.

Michael Lynch