[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: training

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:22:15 -0800

Sheila is correct that no one method works for all dogs.  They don't all
read the same books! <G>
However, there are laws of learning that apply to all dogs and, in
fact, to all species.  If a person learns those laws of learning and how
to apply them, anything the dog is physically and mentally capable of
doing can be taught to him.  A good reference, in plain English, for the
laws is in Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog".  No, it's not a dog
training book (although the latest edition does have dog training added
to it), but it is the best dog training book I've ever read.  And I've
read a great many of them.

Sue Mazzeo

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:05:14 -0800 (PST)
From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: training

Oh, for the love of G-d, have any of you out there who are not trainers
any clue how few trainers bother to treat dogs as individuals?  I can
tell you from a trainer's experience not many.

  I just did a lesson where the previous dog was put down for biting.
They used a very popular trainer here in town.  He took the dog and
taught it to sit, down, stay and a few other basics.  But never taught
them how to deal with this dog.  I am now dealing with the new dog.  She
is, of course, completely different in personality.  But the owners are
not.  And they could make her as bad as the first one.  So I stepped in
to explain how to lead rather than be bitten for following.

  Most trainers have one way of training all dogs.  But it works about
60 percent of the time and that is enough for most.  I go for 100 % by
catering my words and deeds to the dog and family in front of me, not
some program that is prewritten.

  But I also find myself repeating myself a lot more than I like.
People can be so predictable about their itty bitty poo's.
  sheila
Ginger Cleary <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Barb is so right. NO two dogs are alike... in ANY breed. No one
training
method, regardless of whether it is "traditional", clicker, treat, etc
is
going to work with every dog. GOOD trainers tailor their training to
the
DOG.

Then, if you are running classes for "pet" people, you also have to
tailor
your methods for the owners .

Ginger Cleary
Rome, GA www.rihadin.com
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men,
undergo
the fatigue of supporting it. ~Thomas Paine

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use
or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the
communication.