[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: today's Rockland show

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dogpeople@xxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:46:43 -0800 (PST)

Watch Caeser some.  He has dog freak out on him often enough and he is not
afraid to put it on TV either.  It happens.

  Happened to me just last weekend.  It is what frightened dogs do, and if it
works once they will use it forever.

  The puppy must have been in training to do that. It needs socialization, no
matter how much it is getting already it still needs more.  But all will be
just fine.  Training pays off.

  I know!!!

  My Bertha, who was downright dangerous when she came back to me has become
civil.  Not the least friendly, but civil.  It took having a house guest, one
dog literate, for 2 weeks.  This had as profound an effect on her as smelling
herself in her whelping box when she got home.

  Usually I have a more direct approach, but she was mine and so I could not
walk in and take over as I ususally do.  But the effect was the same.  Someone
joined the pack and then left.  That changed her perception about who is and
who is not a pack member.  Now anyone could become a pack member.  So she is
not nearly as concerned with those she does not know as she was.

  Now she is willing to consider strangers as possible friends.

  It is just the right kind of training for each dog.

  As for this puppy who had a fit in the ring?  It may have been the best thing
for her, and if may also have been just another dreadful event to her.  Depends
on how far past the fit she got before being handed back to her owners.

  If she got to them before the fit had passed, well, expect another fit at the
next show, or get her with strangers in a practice class to discover that she
can breath without her owners.  And they might also do well to go to a training
class too.  I don't know I have no clue who they are.  I only know dogs.
  sheila
Dogpeople@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I was ringside and witnessed the entire event . Fred did not touch the
puppy, she freaked out on her own. The fact that people would allude to Fred
mistreating a dog in the ring is absolutely ridiculous!!!! This back biting is
horrible. It is not good sportsmanship nor is it good for the sport of
showing dogs!!!

Mackie

AOL now offers free
http://www.aol.com.