[ SHOWGSD-L ] to the newest members of the list

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:55:39 -0700 (PDT)

Please let's don't turn this into which judges are political and which are not.
 If you don't like a judge, don't enter under them again.  Many judges don't
know one handler from another and others don't know one end of a dog from
another.  But that is not what this is supposed to be about.

  Don't go there!!!

  Let's just pretend that in the end it all levels out, because it does!

  Juniors can and do win.  Unknowns can and do win.  Great dogs do win.  And
sometimes great dogs get great handlers and they become GV's.

  But we can and do show dogs and win all the time.  Many people on this list
brag about wins with their own dogs or unknown handlers.

  So enough of this.

  I wanted to hear from people with less than 10 years in the breed and what
they are doing and what they think so far.

  I was not asking if they thought they needed to spend tons of money, or if
they thought it was strictly policital.  I did not ask that and to see this
thread deteriorate into more of the same just plain hurts.

  Now, again, all you newer people, talk out in the open, tell us how you feel.
 What can we do to help you?  We are not going to just give you our very best
dogs, but what can we say that will encourage you to work with this breed and
continue the efforts so many of us have put out to breed and grow our dogs.

  To quote our PC president, let's encourge..........
  sheila
Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  And yet, there are judges who DO judge the handler, and judges who
may not start out that way but who can be intimidated into "taking care
of" a particular handler...they don't have the courage of their
convictions and let themselves believe that the handler knows best, and
when the judge lacks confidence, an "in your face" handler can have a
field day, beating much better dogs with inferior animals, or with
animals not having a good day.....we are supposed to judge on the day,
not in hopes of getting another judging assignment, and with no fear or
favor...many judges can't do that. Sad, but true...
Many people use handlers because they just can't get around the ring
anymore, and that's fine...judges aren't supposed to care who shows the
dog, who owns the dog, or anything else...........a bench show committee
called once or twice on a handler who berates a judge or tries
intimidation tactics would put an end to all that nonsense. It's one
thing to stand around and sulk, or make faces, but when a handler starts
yelling at the judge, that's an offense that the AKC will not only
suspend the handler for, they'll be fined, as well.
As a judge, you can make mistakes from time to time, but if most of
the time you stick to your guns, the smart handlers will figure out what
to bring you...the others might as well stay home...because if you judge
the dogs, you will be fine. Judges are only human beings, after all.
If you only buy your groceries at the most expensive shop in town
because you are afraid to shop at the Quik-Mart, then you deserve what
you get. After all, if you don't have confidence in your decisions you
shouldn't be judging, anyway...and if you let yourself be intimidated by
a handler, ANY handler, your decisions aren't worth a damn, anyway.
Peggy

ANN SCHULTZ wrote:

>Hi Kris, I disagree about needing a top handler to win in this breed. The only
>time it makes a difference is when a dog isn't deserving and then that handler
>may have enough clout to beat better dogs. A good dog will win, regardless of
>the handler. I think I have proven that over the years. And by that I mean an
>unknown handler, not one without talent. There are still many judges in this
>breed that reward the dog, not the handler. JMO Ann =====================

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training