[ SHOWGSD-L ] throwing the baby out with the bath water

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 06:39:13 -0500

>So...what you're saying...is if I don't breed to a nice dog, even if he
>carries a genetic problem...and breed to another nice dog instead who DOESN'T
>carry
>a genetic problem, I'm not-so-smart and throwing the baby out with the
>bathwater?  Hmmm...well, I guess that's what I am then.  I want nice dogs who
>are
>HEALTHY aaaaaannndddd produce it in their offspring.

Every dog carries genetic problems - as do we humans.  As genetic markers are
developed, we will be able to identify selected genetic problems, but we
shouldn't fool ourselves that by avoiding one problem, that we are avoiding all
problems.  In shelties, a DNA test is available for VWD.  This enables us to
breed carrier to non-carrier and avoid breeding carrier to carrier.  The
company that provides the genetic test does not advocate eliminating carriers
from a breeding program - but does advocate utilizing them in a way that no
affected puppies are produced.  I would hope we'd do the same in GSD's so as
not to narrow our gene pool any further.

Laurie