[ SHOWGSD-L ] thoughts to ponder

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:16:38 -0400

Next, I would like to know why people don't make majors at specialty shows,
but some of the all-breed shows recently, with judges who not only don't
understand German Shepherd Dogs but don't even like them, pull easy majors.
Oh yes, most of the entry will have come from the same one or two handlers,
and more power to them if they can groom that many and run around the ring
in every class (or find someone who will do it along with them), but
still...they are major entries with dogs to spare......but not at the
specialties!!!

    Why are so many people avoiding specialties and going to the all breed
shows...and not all of those, either, but the ones with judges who really
have no business evaluating our breed?  What is going on here?

     I'm not suggesting that there are not judges who started, maybe, in
Curlycoated Retrievers who can't do a good job in German Shepherds...but
some of the people who are getting these major entries wouldn't know a Grand
Victor from the pet down the street...but there they are, with easy majors
on both sides...and specials, too!

     I'm not speaking of myself, here -- I'm not judging much this year, and
some of these shows I don't even want to be at as a spectator, because it's
too hot...
but I do look at the results on Infodog, and I'm amazed at which judges are
given these major entries...and equally at which are not.

       Are the specialties being passed by because the judges are perceived
as being "in the pockets" of particular handlers, or as judges who will NOT
award a certain handler or two?  I've heard both kinds of stories, and you
probably have, too.  So with these unknown judges, do people think they have
a better chance?
Am I dreaming?  I know I'm not...I know that if a specialty club were to
hire some of these all rounders, there'd be no entry then, either....so what
is going on?
Showing is too expensive to waste money showing when the outcome is "known"
ahead of time...but isn't it equally expensive for one person to drag his or
her own major with him to a show under a judge lacking in knowledge, just
for the win?
     I don't know if I've expressed my thoughts clearly, but I hope someone
has something to add to this conundrum..........what the heck is going

Peggy