[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: thoughts on All-Breeds.....

  • From: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: d fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:28:28 +0000 (UTC)

I have been showing in all breeds and specialties for many years, but my heart
is with the specialties. Here I am asking my peers to evaluate my breeding
program, not someone that started out in beagles and added German Shepherds to
their judging license, because there  was money to be made getting more groups.

There are a lot of knowledgable judges in both rings, but there are also many
all breed judges that have not clue one when it  comes to judging German
Shepherds and they either put up the known handlers or clean coming and going
with complete disregard for the rest of the dog.   The rings are also often too
small for a correct moving side gaiting dog to even get going . I think of all
breed shows as a crapshoot. Everybody stands a chance to win, no matter the
quality of the dog.

There are crooks in both rings, and I find that is one reason majors are built.
Sometimes it is a done deal for someone's dog and usually one that can't win
under honest knowledgable judges. I have used enough all breed handlers and
have heard it from their mouth and seen it happen again and again.

Raymond Oppenheimer, a famous breeder years ago, wrote rules for dog breeding
and these can apply to any breed.  One I have never forgotten is "lack of
virtue is by far the greatest fault of all"

A good German Shepherd should be able to win in any ring under knowledgable
judges.

Ann
www.edangsd.com