[ SHOWGSD-L ] thisa and thata

  • From: NHANSBURG@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:58:35 -0400

1. Penny there are two prisons in the area that watchdog covers for you
plus several halfway houses. there might be quite a few offenders in a
region like that. i dare say that anyone living in the hudson valley
would find the same thing. i was amazed at how few criminals they
listed.

2.I once drove 900 miles to hold five majors for a club. I thought the
judges were mostly terrible and decided that if majors needed holding
it was probably because the judges were lousy. I have seen practically
everything in 44 years of Dog Shows but I know what Gerald means.

3.He is talking about the fact that if 100 dogs are being shown and
fifty of them finish with three or more majors that does not leave any
majors for the other fifty dogs.For every extra major your dog takes
there is some dog out there that isnt going to get one. Its like
sharing a pie or a pizza and someone taking an extra slice leaving no
slice for someone else. Wait until you have a dog with twenty reserves
and see h
ow you feel about it?

4. There are many select dogs out there who finished with extra majors
because they were too faulty to get a single point from an All Breed
Show.

5. And while we are on that topic I have seen Grand Victors who could
never leap over a two foot plus hurdle and pick up a dumbell. I have
seen Selects I would not take hme on a bet. I have seen Best In Show
Dogs that would not feed. What it all boils down to is this.

6. This is an Amateur Sport. It is run by Amateurs. Most Judges are
Amateurs. Many Amateurs are terrible at doing most of these things. Too
many of them. However, because it is Amateur it attracts many people
who would otherwise be afraid to participate. It also attracts all
kinds of people with problems. So does American Government which is
also run by Amateurs. We are a country filled with Amateurs. It is part
of our charm and part of our problem.