[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: think about it

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:42 -0400

On the day that Santorum introduced his bill, and whoever it was
introduced it in the House, three organizations came out as supporters
of the Bill.  Those three organizations were PETA, the HSUS, and the
AKC.  Jim Holt's statement claimed that AKC supports the Bill because it
is good for dogs...also because (paraphrasing here) if the AKC didn't
support the PAWS bill it (the AKC) would lose credibility in Washington.
    That makes no sense to me.  It's fairly obvious that it makes no
sense to a lot of others, and to a lot of AKC Parent clubs and other dog
organizations, as well...or they would not have come out against PAWS.
And why, immediately following the announcement that it was supporting
PAWS, was the new Mission Statement announced?
    AKC may have kept whatever credibility it had in the District...but
it's lost it with its "constituents" (AKC's word).
    AKC knew the bill was coming...one of the claims it has sent out is
that the bill has AKC support because it is better than Santorum's
previous bill...the infamous Puppy Protection Act.  I guess maybe it
is...just as dying quickly is probably better than dying slowly.  Given
the choice, I'd choose to live.  And given the choice, I'm against
PAWS.  All the rhetoric and doublespeak in the world, which is all we've
seen from the AKC, hasn't convinced me otherwise.
Peggy