[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the use of technology to reduce travel costs and facilitate club management

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

Margery, can you tell us off hand approximately what the cost is per year for
these meetings, except National. Morgan
Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fortune 500 Companies use electronic meetings extensively now - there are a
number of ways to do this very successfully and at much less cost. The
expense, the disruption and the difficulties involved in long distance
travel are reduced or eliminated. What the GSDCA spends for Board meetings
every year is very large, and much of it would be unnecessary, Other than
the meeting after the National, there is no reason we could not do all the
rest via technology, and even that could be attended electronically. I too
teach online - I teach Paralegals for Kaplan University - and so am very
familiar with distance learning, so do know also how this can be, and is
being, done.

When Ginny was President, as Tish pointed out, I had the misfortune to be
afflicted with Shingles, on my face and in my eye. It was incredibly
horrible and very painful. If any of you have ever had this or know anyone
who had, you know how awful it is. I was not allowed to go anywhere, and
could not have had I wished, due to the extreme discomfort, the constant
need for medication, etc.

However, due to the new electronic recording equipment which I had obtained,
I was able to hook up electronically, to record the entire meeting, to
participate in the discussions, and to do the Minutes, just as if I had been
present physically. My recollection is that Kris was extremely peeved at
that. It is impossible to understand why it would have been better for
anyone or for the GSDCA had I been unable to attend as I did, due to this
malady.

We could save a great deal of money if we reduced the need for the Board to
travel so extensively. I know that Joan has had it as her goal to have a
few standing National sites, to use and re-use, and resolving that constant
issue would further reduce the need.

It would also be entirely feasible, if the Board met "electronically" to
provide access to these meetings for any (or all) of the members to attend.
In fact, I had developed a way to upload the sound recordings of the current
meetings to the GSDCA web site, almost real-time, so that any member who was
interested could hear, and had a test of that ready to go for the Board in
May 2007, but Lew killed it. I guess having everyone able to hear the
recording would just not fit with the ongoing sabotage and the claims that
what was in the Minutes was not what occurred at the meeting...

Being an Officer or Board member should not be an endurance test. Some of
us have more or less health, family and personal issues, and these are
things that we cannot always control. However, that does not have to stop
us from being of service to the GSDCA.

Laurie, I wholeheatedly agree with your suggestions - all of these things
can and should be done. This is the 21st Century, the GSDCA can and should
benefit from all the advances in technology which now exist. The membership
can and should be able to attend all meetings, the Board could meet as often
as necessary, the Executive Committee could (and should) cease to exist, and
we could save lots of money for much more important expenditures, all of
which would benefit the GSDCA.

Margy