[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: - the other White decision "Ponder this"

  • From: AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • To: scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:11:54 -0400 (EDT)

Am I confused or is white still a color? my brother put siding on his
house, white, the contractor wanted to interest him a colored trim, he kept
saying 'white is a color" He could be wrong, but as a nurse the only color
uniform we used to be allowed to wear was white, 'florence nightengale thought
it was a color, I know what people mean when they say a white shirt, if it
isn't  a rich pristine white, what color is it? can't white be rich color
Ann

In a message dated 8/3/2013 4:39:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Ido not  know what the correct thing to do with the white GSD but here are
facts of  what
Stephanitz wrote in German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture in  the First
American addition
printed and translated in Germany. So if  you consider all the facts below
to remove the white GSD from AKC would be  a mistake for all the
linebred-inbred pups
that go back to AXEL VON DER  DEININGHAUSERHEIDE.  Breeders are going to get
an occasional  white pup it will happen since it is in the genes. As in
Germany
and  Austria of what I was told they gave the off-color pups away years
ago and got
the sold the source sire to other  countries.

As written by Stephanitz in his book written in  Germany...

"Although I stated in the first chapter that a  dog's
colour is without any significance from the point of view of work,  when
judging
him it cannot be completely disregarded.  However, the  judge should not be
influenced by any artistic
consideration but by the  fact that a clear and strong colouring points to a
healthy and hardy  physical condition of the dog. Any decline in the
strength of
the original  colour, called fading, is at the same time an urgent warning
of
physical  weakness and lack of power resistance, especially towards
diseases.
Whilst  an intensification of dark colour is, first and foremost the
outcome  of
selective breeding, paling is mostly a sign of wrong breeding  or
overbreeding.  For this reason the bearers
of such colours must  be considered less suitable for breeding purposes.
With dogs, however,  who have been bred to
white colour, where the pigmentation has been  retained by the skin, it is
not a
sign of paling
but of breed. This,  however, applied only to other breeds:
for shepherd-dogs, both smooth and  rough haired, white is forbidden and
only
allowed for shaggy haired ones as  the descendants of the old sheep dogs
bred
for white."

AXEL  VON DER DEININGHAUSERHEIDE carried the faded gene which
has passed down  through sons Troll vom Richterbach and Watzer von Bad
Melle in
USA.   Axel is probably the number one dog
in the background of the faded color  and white GSD's here.  I know there
are others but of the pedigrees
I  have researched the most popular lines are their descendents Lance and
Brend
seem to be there the most bringing it up today.

The  Nazi's I was told by German family members that the
Nazi's liked the rich  colors not white or paling GSD's.  My aunt left
Austria with her GSD's as  did my
grandparents and my great-grandma while my great-grandfather stayed  behind
as
the Nazi's took over his home as a headquarters. There were many  very good
GSD's lost through the war which
did leave a large impact on  the breed.
Theresa
From: Carolyn Martello  <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: - the  other White decision

Since the white Shepherd has been a DQ for many,  many years....and has
NEVER
been a 'desirable' part of the Standard for the  German Shepherd Dog it
seems
it has been the decision of those who  continue breeding them to have to
deal
with the problems that exist with  that decision....just as it does with
any
other DQ in any Breed  Standard.
Why not let them "go" off into their own Breed and gain their own  glory as
very beautiful White breed of dog like others have?    There are many white
breeders that DO prefer that...and many that breed  according to the our
AKC
Standard that DO prefer that.   It's  the best possible solution rather than
risk destroying our Parent Club over  another 'war'....
AKC will work it out in the most fair way possible once  we give them the
permission to separate.   You KNOW AKC is not  going to lose the revenue
from
those that are already  Registered!!   They will have a method as they do
for
any 'new'  breed that originated from another.   There are quite a few
"white"
Breeds that we now know ..and are highly respected that came from
separation
from another Breed Standard.

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com
POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.