[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the illustrated standard, etc.

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:30:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/2005 10:34:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I have not seen anything on the IS  since the discussion some time
ago, and I agree, the drawings submitted by  the committee were really
awful.  However, I disagree that any one dog  should be used as the
example...if people can't agree on a drawing, how do  you expect them to
agree on a living dog?

It  has been my experience that a line drawing (such as the IS) of any dog is
almost  completely unrecognizable as that particular dog. A beautiful drawing
of a  correct dog is not a difficult thing to accomplish for an artist who
1), can  draw, and 2), knows the breed.. A different dog could be used for
gaiting, etc.  Modifications made to "improve" the dog can only be made if the
artist has  knowledge of correct "whatever". The artist's vision has to be
combined with  their ability to accurately translate what they are seeing into
the
drawing, and  having the ability to both translate the work, and put personal
ideology aside.  To an artist, "seeing" means getting past their assumptions,
prejudices, kennel  blindness, and preferences.  Seeing means looking with a
clear analytical  eye, casting aside preconceived ideas. My students, for
instance, almost  invariable mistake a dull purple for "brown". This is
assumption.
If it is a  dark and warm color it must be brown. When I point out the
difference,  it is like blinkers have been lifted from their eyes. This is
probably
not the  place for an art lesson, but this is, after all, about art...the art
of
the dog  itself, and the art of the interpretation. The artist has to give it
up to the  truth.  Syd

Syd
Syd Mailberg 425-432-4144
23910 SE 276th St