[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the dinner

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, GreyPines@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:41:55 EST

In a message dated 2/14/2005 10:11:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> One of the best benefits will be that there will be no need for many labor
> intensive hours to be sent by the accounting firm.  All you will have to do
> is send them a disk with the accountants copy on it... and they will be able
> to view everything and be able to make their analysis from that.

I must admit, I'm not an accountant and so I'm not familiar with these
programs, etc.  However, I do wonder how an accounting firm can do a real
accounting
of the money when it just reviews what is sent to them by the treasurer.  Not
implying anything but can't the treasurer just send them what he wants them
to see?   I remember when I first took over the job of futurity chairman (1986)
and I was handling the futurity accounts myself so someone from one of the
big firms (I forget which one the club was using then) came to the house.  He
spent the whole day there going over receipts, money taken in, given out, etc.
That happened every year until the futurity funds were taken over by the
treasurer and all money went through him.  Doesn't there need to be some sort
of
independent review of the accounts as a good business practice?

Tish