[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the bottom line...

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:58:42 -0800 (PST)

I have not read all the responses, but this is the best so far.  You make a
very good point.  Our money should be spent not held has profit.  And it should
be spent helping regional clubs meet akc's requirements and on rescue, and
education mostly for new people.

  Thank you Laurie.
  sheila
Laurie Pruett <pruett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > How could our President Lew and the Board be charged with wrongdoing
,and >mismanagement of our club , and still leave the GSDCA in the best
financial condition
>we've ever been in. Go check that Bottom Line. Look at those
numbers!! In
>2006,the club made $95,229--- the highest yearly profit in GSDCA
History.!! The 2007
>books are not closed yet,nor audited,but a big profit is again
expected.

It is important that the GSDCA have a strong financial position and
adequate reserves on hand to meet any future operating deficits or other
financial needs. I think the GSDCA board needs to make a decision
regarding the level of monetary reserves that need to be on hand, set
those funds aside (invested wisely) and then proceed to spend 100% of
their annual operating revenues on the membership and the breed. We are
a non-profit group and we should not be in the business of creating
"profits" each year. I hope the Budget and Finance committee will have
that discussion, make those decisions, and spend our money to support
the membership and further our breed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing the bottom line of the GSDCA
in 2006 and 2007. I'm just suggesting that some serious thought be
given to the level of reserves that we set aside vs spending our dollars
to support our mission. Maybe those discussions have taken place
already - I'd be happy to hear that they have.

Laurie