[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the aftermath of Rita--sorry long

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 05:29:54 EDT

Have not been able to log on due to lack of electricity....we are  still
without it, but when no one is using much in the middle of the  night, ok to
tax
the generator for a bit for the "unessential's".   Sure was nice to see life
goes on normal for most.....connects me back to  the "real" other world.
We are ok.....we were not hurt nor were the dogs.   Have 3  other people
staying with us with their 7 dogs, they are also  fine.
It probably topped the list as the most frightening experience of my
life...not only did we have a hurricane for 9 1/2 hours, in the middle we  had
pretty powerful tornado...talk about luck.
I lost 1/2 of my kennels with a huge oak tree that decided it was a  good
place to fall....I guess better there than the house...easier to  rebuild.  All
the dogs were in crates inside with us ....pretty scary  for them too.  Just
yesterday everyone finally ate normally......the  older ones do not like their
routine off.
We have a lot of work to do here........will take months to put back  in
order.   We have a fairly large generator and are getting the  most important
appliances running smooth - water pump, fridges, freezers,  fans etc.  Not
enough
juice for the house air/cond and we had several  days of over 97 degrees, but
yesterday was wonderful in the high 80's  only.....stroke of luck.
Things could always be worse, I think <smile>
The kindness and generosity of people still overwhelms us........we  had the
sweetest 2 little ladies come to the door 2 days ago giving  "anything" out to
anyone that needed.  We were out of orange juice  and needed ant traps -
their SUV was like a small grocery store! Amazed  they had both items.....The
local fire dept brings bottled water and ice  every other day....great guys
giving
their time.  Had some "animal  oriented" people stop .....gave us some more
cat food for the many feral  cats that have taken refuge here.   The private e
mails and  phone calls have brought John and I to tears more than a few
times..........we are so thankful to be alive and have such great
friends..............life is very good.     John said  he just wants to be 20
years younger
for awhile....looking outside makes  his bones hurt! Keep telling him a little
bit at a time.
A dear friend near Houston grocery shopped over there for us....only  shelf
life foods available here.  Milk for breakfast, salad  tonight.........yes, we
are appreciating the little things a lot.
Sorry for the long message........was just so good to  chat...........missed
you all
Please continue to keep my life normal, and thanks to all for the
support.........
Molly and the very tired, John

Trillia German Shepherds