[ SHOWGSD-L ] the aftermath......... (legislation)

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ckcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ckcsbreeders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dogsnwhatever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, realdogshowtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, USKBTC <usk-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:11:18 -0400

I received this post this morning from another judge, in a private
post.    The CDOC has been posting to the Judges' list claiming the
credit for the CVMA pulling its support from the bill...as has the
AKC.    .     I don't know how many people will get this
information...but everyone, and all the groups, including the CFA,
worked to  defeat AB 1634, only CalFed (CFODOC) has been quiet.  This
info about CalFed  needs to be seen.
  It was prefaced by this comment, signed by someone named George and
I'm sorry to report I don't know who George is.........but  ...:

> Cal Feds contact with the Vets. by snail mail was probably the single
> most important factor in the CVMA standing down from
> contributor/supporter  to a neutral position on AB 1634.  An amazing
> accomplishment.

Forwarding encouraged

The California Federation of Dog Clubs wishes to add their thanks to our
colleagues who have offered theirs.   CFoDC also wants to acknowledge
the countless volunteers on the public and private lists in California
and across the country who have written, marched, phoned and done
everything in their power to stop AB1634.  The explicit and implicit
threats in this bill to our right to own and enjoy our animals were
brought to the nation's attention and beyond. We thank you for that.

CFoDC (CalFed), gives thanks first to our own CFoDC members who spent so
many hours writing letters, faxing, calling, not only legislators but
coordinating with other groups aligned to work cooperatively in this cause.

Accompanied by our board members, Judy Coffman, VP, traveled to
Sacramento for each meeting to walk the halls and attend meetings with
our allies, PETPac, TAC, CFA, NAIA and AKC.  Her many years of
legislative knowledge, combined with the others' expertise regarding how
Sacramento works, was an incalculable asset.

The work of Florence Blecher and other CFODC Board members, Judith
Brecka, Laura Atkinson, Carole Raschella, Susan Sholar at local events,
encouraging visitors to write their legislators, educating those who
were eager to learn, helped mold many new activists ready to oppose
AB1634 now and if/when it returns.  Our volunteer "tablesitters" were
invaluable in reaching out to the public.

A large thank you MUST go to Lisa Swoboda of the Cavalier Club of
America, along with CFODC board member Stormy Hope, for gathering the
addresses of 2460 California CVMA members.  Lisa recruited other
Cavalier Club members in CFoDC's name, to contact every one of those
veterinarians. This was a major undertaking and accomplishment after
CFODC had contacted 1800 non-CVMA vets by email.  Writing those vets,
informing them of the CVMA'S sponsorship of AB1634 was an important
first step in CVMA's pulling their support from the bill. In addition,
Stormy coordinated hundreds of volunteers to contact CVMA vets in their
area by writing letters and making personal visits, doubling and
tripling the contacts.

It took thousands upon thousands of equally important and valuable
individuals to move this bill to the shelf.  Behind those individuals
stood CFODC, PetPac, The Animal Council, National Animal Interest
Alliance, SaveourDogs, AKC, advising, working, never compromising,
always standing fast.  We have a large task ahead of us, but for now,
Thank you -- ALL of you out there -- for doing it!

California Federation of Dog Clubs
www.cfodconline.org <http://www.cfodconline.org>