[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the Southern California vet

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:11:04 GMT

Personally I'd rather see all dogs and cats vaccinated against rabies as=
 a matter of public safety.  I checked and according to public health re=
cords, Tennessee had only one recorded case of a rabid dog in 2004 (coul=
dn't find the rabies statistics for 2005 - according to the site there w=
ere 52 cases of rabies in Tennessee in 2004, including 27skunks, 11 bats=
, 11 raccoons, 1 grey fox, 1 opossum, and 1 dog.), but what about the do=
gs who encounter rabid wildlife?  =

Again using old statistics from 2001, my state of Florida had 209 report=
ed cases of rabies - 18 were domestic animals - 1 dog, 16 cats and 1 hor=
se.  During this same period, Tennessee fared better than Florida, with =
106 reported cases of rabies with only 2 cases reported of domestic anim=
als, both dogs.  Texas had 1,043 reported cases of rabies, 41 were domes=
tic animals - 16 dogs - 13 cats - 6 cows- 5 horses.  I only checked thes=
e three states.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/kidsrabies/Statistics/usmap.htm#United_St=
ates

Do I know of anyone who died from rabies - yes - the sister of one of my=
 USCS co-workers!!!  Do I know anyone whose dog has had an encounter wit=
h a rabid animal - yes - it's not that uncommon!!!  Do I know anyone who=
 had to go thru a series of rabies shots because their dog had an encoun=
ter with a rabid animal and then was kissed by the dog - yes - my own si=
ster!!!  With all due respect, I think only a fool would deny protecting=
 the public and their pets from this deadly disease.  Maybe that's why y=
ou don't read much about domestic pets getting rabies - because they hav=
e to have mandatory vaccinations.  =

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3D6&uid=3D4294023 - Link to T=
he Hooligans Albums