[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the List / something

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:45:32 -0800 (PST)

Kathy of Pinehill, mail directed to you is bouncing 100%.  I reply to you and
it comes back.  Sorry to post this, but I see no other way to let you know.
Sheila
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 3/15/2006 4:53:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Wasatchgld
writes:
I've never pulled a bitch completely away while she's still
nursing. When I start weaning pups, I feed them while their
mom is outside. I give her longer and longer breaks as the
pups get used to eating the food. They're less hungry, so they
don't nurse as long or as vigorously, and the bitch dries up more
gradually. This is less stressful on Mom and babies, and I've
never had a problem with a bitch having sore teats - whether I've
had a large litter, or with my recent singleton pup. I believe the
mother provides more for the babies than just food, and don't
like to completely separate them until the mother is ready and
the pups are less dependent (usually between 6-7 weeks).

Janice

That's how I do it too, but what has happened is that in 2 instances, right
around the three week point the bitches nursed sitting down instead of laying
down. The puppies stood up and nursed on the back breasts not being able
the reach the front tow breasts, they then got overly full and sore. Ideally,
I wouldn't like them separated now, but she has to be away for a few days
until her milk dries up. She visits when they are eating their cereal and when
I am changing their bedding wearing a men's white cotton t-shirt, but IMO
she is just too sore IMO for them to jump up and hang off of her.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Travel
 Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!