[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the List / something

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:53:28 EST

I've never pulled a bitch completely away while she's still
nursing.  When I start weaning pups, I feed them while their
mom is outside.  I give her longer and longer breaks as the
pups get used to eating the food.  They're less hungry, so they
don't nurse as long or as vigorously, and the bitch dries up more
gradually.  This is less stressful on Mom and babies, and I've
never had a problem with a bitch having sore teats - whether I've
had a large litter, or with my recent singleton pup.  I believe  the
mother provides more for the babies than just food, and don't
like to completely separate them until the mother is ready and
the pups are less dependent (usually between 6-7 weeks).

Janice

In a message dated 3/15/2006 6:23:41 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
I have  something that's been bothering me since Sunday and I don't know
what
to do about it or IF it can even be prevented or IF it can't be  prevented
how others handle it;

How do you prevent a bitch's  front breasts from becoming too full/sore,
etc., when as her puppies  get in the 2-3 week range they are big enough to
nurse
on the back  breasts when she is sitting up?  This last litter makes  twice
I've had to deal with this, and as soon as I noticed a problem  (within
hours
literally because I've been staying home w/ the  litter), I expressed some
milk,
then sat with the bitch, had her lay  down and let the puppies nurse from
the
front breasts then sat with  her applying hot compresses.  Over the  course
of
the next few  days, there were lots of hot compresses.

To fill in the blanks, I  started the puppies on their "puppy cereal" at 18
days, at the time  this happened, 21 days, mom had access to the puppies but
also the  ability to come and go from the puppy pen as she pleased.  The
current
litter is a big litter and mom had an extraordinary amount  of  milk.  When
it
happened before, I would say it was a normal  sized litter,  normal amount of
milk. With the current litter, I've  since (24 days) taken mom  away from the
babies until her milk dries  up, though she is with me when I  change their
bedding/water/food but  I don't let her in with them to nurse.   The soreness
is
subsiding, but darn it, these little buggers are rough, wanting  to  jump up
and
hang from her!   It just looks to painful   for  words to me and I hear how
some of you can leave your girls w/  the puppies  literally until they are
ready
to leave and instead I'm  sitting with a lot of  hot compresses and feeling
just
awful for my  girl! What I did when this happened  before is let mom
(different  mom) hang out with them during the day with the  option of
getting away  from
them if she pleased (using a low barrier she could  jump from  the puppy
pen),
once her milk dried up and that's the plan for this   current litter. Thank
God I caught it immediately or I could have had a  big  problem....

so what do you all do when mom wants to sit up an  nurse and her front
breasts get sore and too  full?

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live  here!