[ SHOWGSD-L ] talking about majors

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:08:32 -0400

   A little while ago we were talking about the difficulty in finding
majors. People in other breeds laugh at me when I say we used to have 2
or 3 dogs entered and it wouldn't even be a point...so I did some
research about how many dogs it took for majors back in my part of the
country  in the 60s.  It seemed it was almost as hard to find majors
then as now, and looking at the numbers, I'm so surprised...my memory
tells me that the point schedule was higher than this.  Still, this
comes straight out of  the catalog for Trenton KC on May 9, 1965, for
Division 1, so it's true.  (of course the scale was about to change,
since it changes on May 15 every year...but this is what it was.   At
the end of this, I'll print the Scale of Points thats in effect now:  I
can't remember what states were included in Division 1 back then, but
they included most of New England and NY, NJ at least.  Today, Division
1 is only Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New
Hampshire, and New York.  New Jersey is now in Division 2 with
Pennsylvania and Delaware......and the breakdown there is  2-2, 10-9,
17-15, 21-21, and 27-32.     In Virginia (Division 3) it is even
lower--14 on either side is a 3 point major.   Still, we have a problem
finding majors in the East.
You people who live where there is a lot of competition or where the
point scale is higher still may think it's hard to find majors, but look
at how low our scale is, and think that many clubs in this part of the
country can't even get majors at specialties.
       Where are all the dogs?
        Peggy
In New Jersey in 1965:
1 Point:  5 dogs, 5 bitches;