[Showgsd-l Freelists] Re: tails

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:57:51 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2004 1:54:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
> The original question was about the "only while showing in the ring" dead
> tails.   I totally agree that a "true" dead tail has to be a sign of
> something
> wrong, but if all other cases, it is normal????
> Stormy
> Colorado
>
> In a message dated 11/11/04 9:22:48 AM, Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
>

> >According to all I've read  a tail should  NEVER  look or appear to be
> >'dead'... when it occurs it is believed to be a neurological problem of the
>
> >spine
> >itself.  As the tail is merely a continuation of the spine, any deadness or
> >limpness, signaling  nerve numbness , is considered an early   sign of
> >DM...or
> >possible Cauda Equina...   barb williams

I showed to a judge once who walked, and walked and walked the dogs
(specialty show).  While walking (and pulling looking for me) the particular
dog I was
showing just let his tail hang there.  It wasn't bouncing off his hocks, just
hanging there.  The same dog wagged his tail at the handler during the
individual exam,  and carried it normally while gaiting.  Still, the judge made
comment to the handler re his tail (and we either went 2nd or 3rd in Open, so I
suppose it cost us.)  Many years later, still no issues w/ this dog's tail, but
it made me wonder IF I was really seeing from the outside of the ring what I
THOUGHT I was seeing.  There's an obvious "dead tail", bouncing off the hocks
while gaiting, and some not so obvious when you catch them wagging it <G>.
Then there are a whole lot of kinks in tails and curly que tails, which
distract
the heck out of me <G>.

Kathy
visit  Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs

POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the Poster and
of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
permitted without prior permission of the original poster AND of the Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

For administrative problems, email problems and technical support, please
contact the List Administrators at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx, in private.  Please do
not post individual problem issues on Showgsd-l