[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tail chasing puppy

  • From: Linda DeLarso <lindelgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Showgsd-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:05:44 -0500

I have only had one experience with tail chasing. It was on a 18 month old
bitch that I took back from a family that I was disappointed with. They
never spent the time to get her trained, then complained she was too much
dog. AFTER I took the bitch back I found out from my vet (This sale was a
vet referral) that they had called and wanted to put the bitch to sleep. Yes
this is after I told them I would take her back. Thank God the vet told them
to call me that they would not put the bitch to sleep. When I got her
records the reason on her file for wanting the bitch killed...... She is TOO
FRIENDLY! Amazing!
Anyway, when I got her she was a Bad tail chaser, She would have chased
ANYTHING that moved!. I DID however break her of that. With her she needed a
JOB! She was very intelligent and just wanted to please you. They said after
2 rounds of obedience they still could not even walk her. ( when the guy
walked her into the house she was hopping on 2 legs, she was pulling so bad.
HE said well this is what we deal with !)
So every time she chased the tail or even looked at it I would QUICKLY
correct her and do a down/stay, or a sit stay and refocus. She was a neat
bitch, within 5 minutes of obedience routines in the yard, she was fully
focused on ME and heeling perfectly, sitting when I stopped and staring at
me. SHE LOVED IT! She is now in Alaska doing Search and Rescue!
Happy ending!!!

That was the only one I dealt with, and her case it was definitely from
boredome/frustration!

Linda DeLarso
Lindel Shepherds
www.lindelshepherds.com