[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tail chasing puppy

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: SlvrCrkGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:16:41 EST

That's an obsessive/compulsive thing.  They could try upping his  exercise
to make him really tired, naturally saying "no" when he started but I'm  not
optimistic.   Some vets would give an RX (doggy Prozac?).

I had a bitch years ago who had another bitch in her pedigree, pretty nice
pedigree, who never finished.  (Short a few singles).  I had an  occasion
to ask HER breeder why they never bothered to finish her and she (the  bitch
in the pedigree, not my little gal) did the "spinning and grabbing tail
thing" too.  Constantly made herself exhausted and bloody. They cut her  tail
off.

I'd try the prozac for a good long time and keep my fingers crossed he'd
forget about it.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 11/15/2009 12:14:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
slvrcrkgsd@xxxxxxx writes:

I saw a  puppy buyer today, whose 15 week old puppy is chasing his tail
"all the  time".  She said that he catches it with his teeth and yelps (because
he  bites it), and then continues chasing it.  I have had an adult that
would  chase his tail when anal sacks were full, but not sure why a puppy would
be  doing this.  He has been seen by their vet.

Carrie  Adams
Colorado

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org