[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tail chasing puppy

  • From: Penny Kroh <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:20:08 -0500

This happened to us once, when we bought a dog who'd always been
kenneled.  We thought that by having him in the house the behavior
would stop.  It didn't.  We put Bitter Apple on the tail and then he
just "looked" at it, as he knew the stuff tasted awful.  So, is this a
learned behavior or genetic?  In our case, I believe it was genetic--
others did it with the same bloodlines.
Penny in NY

I saw a puppy buyer today, whose 15 week old puppy is chasing his tail
"all the time".  She said that he catches it with his teeth and yelps
(because he bites it), and then continues chasing it.  I have had an
adult that would chase his tail when anal sacks were full, but not
sure why a puppy would be doing this.  He has been seen by their vet.

Carrie Adams
Colorado