[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tail chasing puppy

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, SlvrCrkGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:31:12 EST

boredom or anxiety.  many rescues will do this, actually going so far  as
to chew the ends of their tails off - it's their answer to stress.   if it's
boredom, give the pup something to do.  if it's anxiety, determine  the
reason so the stressor can be eliminated.

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com

In a message dated 11/14/2009 9:22:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:

In a  message dated 11/14/2009 11:14:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,
slvrcrkgsd@xxxxxxx writes:
I  saw a puppy buyer today, whose 15  week old puppy is chasing his tail
"all the time".  She said  that he catches it with his teeth and  yelps
(because he bites it),  and then continues chasing it.  I have  had an
adult that
would  chase his tail when anal sacks were full, but  not sure why a puppy
would be doing this.  He has been seen by  their  vet.

Perhaps he does not have enough to do.....bored pups  come up  with their
own games.  Does he spend a lot of time  crated or in a  small kennel?
Tail
chasing is generally  an anxiety issue of  some sort.  We used to call it
kennel  syndrome, which in turn  translates into boredom.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972  ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording  secretary), Life member
CKC
"We find comfort among those who   agree with us - growth among those who
don't".
..Frank A   Clark

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
=