[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: suspension

  • From: S&C Grainger <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:38:24 -0800 (PST)

As stated in my rather long e-mail, I STRONGLY disagree that we have made
improvements on temperament. Many have made improvements on masking poor
temperament. when some have to deal with it on a regular basis..some become an
experts. I really don't care if a dog passes his/ her temperament test at the
national, I care about the other 10 shows that I saw the animal nearly claw the
handler apart, or hit the ground at. What I would choose to say is that we have
several expert trainers and they should be commended( tongue in cheek) on their
training abilities. I also tend to have a bit of a problem with judges who
condemn the poor temperament( publicly) that certain animals are producing,
then reward those animals with select ratings encouraging unknowing and new
people to breed their bitches to these animals since they have been deemed as
"worthy" only to have to deal with the problems of having a litter of puppies
with the same unsoundness. With all the
 anti-dog legislation and breed specific legislation, plus insurance companies
refusing to insure those with certain breeds, you would THINK that we would be
doing a better job of safeguarding the temperament of our breed..such is not
the case in my opinion. To think we are making strides in temperament is a
delusion and we won't make improvements in ANY areas if we delude ourselves.
www.hickoryhillgsd.com