[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: surgical implant

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:12:51 EST

It depends on which type of implant you're talking about  and the  knowledge
and ability of who is doing the timing and  implanting.  I'd do
trans-cervical
over surgical any day.   I  avoid anesthesia wherever  possible, plus,
wherever
you have  scaring in the uterus, (i.e. from a prior  c-section), a placenta
can't  attach, so, even though surgical implantation  leaves a tiny, tiny
scar,
you never know if additional scar tissue will develop  and since
trans-cervical
is available, I'd prefer not to take the  chance.

Kathy
It also depends of whether you have a good repro vet available.  I  have done
three implants.

First one about six years ago was done surgically and with freshly  chilled
semen.  I had to travel five hours to get to this vet who  was very good but
did not feel comfortable with transcervical implanting  (it was a fairly new
technique then).  She did the surgical implant and an  AI two days later - I
had
seven puppies.

A year ago, I tried again and it was a disaster.  There  are no local vets
who do expert repro work.  My regular vet did a surgical  implant - she does
not
know how to do transcervical.  It was in the middle  of an ice storm and I
had to drive to the airport because UPS would not  guarantee delivery of the
sperm package.  I found out later that the dog  was having fertility problems
and
I had no puppies.  I don't believe it had  anything to do with the procedure
but with the dog itself.

Last time I drove three hours to a repro expert - what a  difference.  He
actually knew what the heck he was doing.   HALLELLUJAH!!!!  I had a
transcervical implant - great  technique.  Results: nice healthy litter.

If you have a good vet in your area... Be nice to him... He is worth  his
weight in gold.

Dania