[ SHOWGSD-L ] supliments

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:57:00 -0800 (PST)

After reading a great deal here, I decided that Esbilac was maybe not the best
thing, the reproductive vet that insemenated Liddy told me that I should use
goat milk instead.  The list seemed to concur.  But the best laid plans, etc.
One pup liked it well enough and accepted it, if she didn't have to work too
hard.  The other 2 rejected it, rather out of paw.  Liddy is drying up, and
needs help.  As I said earlier I did indeed give 2 of the pups ground meat.  It
was an outright hit.  They also passed out contentedly very quickly.

But the third pup, the smallest of course, got a dose of goat milk, cut about
50/50 with filtered water this afternoon.  I found her straining to poop alone,
with no sucess at all.  Now she is completely constipated.  I spoke to my vet,
and said change the viscosity of clean water with something, I used KY, and
giver her an ennema.  This was not her idea of fun, but it caused a large
smelly fart.  She has not pooped yet, but she is resting.

I am wondering if any of you have used goat milk and had this happen to a pup.
I would be interested in knowing how things 'worked out' as it were.  I will be
giving her water orally this evening, suggested by my vet.  And we are close to
that too, so I may as well.

The other two will continue to get meat, once tomorrow, twice on Sat, and
increasing until they bite at it.  When they go after it and bite rather than
such it, I will make gruel, of meat, a milk product (suggestions?), and
completely mushy puppy food.

This is the 'old family recipe' and I stand by it.  Little Sissy will get her
meat when she returns to normal.

I do have a vet appointment for Friday after noon and I will give an update
then.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me,  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Travel
 Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!