[ SHOWGSD-L ] super glue on dogs

  • From: v Christiane Rudolf <crudolf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 9:09:55 -0600

One of my dogs got part of his tail cut off by getting the tail slammed int=
o a closing storm door.  It was just about 1/8th of an inch, but there was =
blood everywhere.  I tried to stop it with bloodstop, the kind they use whe=
n docking ears/tails, etc., but nothing helped.  My regular vet was closed,=
 so I packed him into a Vari Kennel and headed off to the vet, nicknamed "M=
r. Money" by those who know him.  It was close to closing, but he said I co=
uld come.  When I entered the waiting room, it had just been cleaned for th=
e day, looked spick and span.  He took the dog back into the back room, put=
 a couple of drops on the tail and said that "ought to do it".  I asked wha=
t he was using and his reply was "Superglue".   As we headed past the recep=
tionists desk, my dog was so happy to be going out, that he banged his tail=
 against the desk, and.... you guessed.... blood all over the floor, the de=
sk, etc.  Went back in to the vet, who put a more generous portion of Super=
glue on him, the bleeding stopped, and we went home.  When I took the dog o=
ut of his crate, there was blood everywhere coming from his tail again.  We=
ll, I knew I had only one other option, the ER place that I hate and is an =
hour's drive away.  So I started to think about what I could do to stop thi=
ngs for the night.  Then it hit me.  I could use flour, paper towels and du=
ct tape.    So I liberally covered the tail with flour, added more flour to=
 the paper towel, probably a cup, and then taped the whole thing on with du=
ct tape.   When I got up the next morning, the "bandage" was still in place=
, but a little blood had leaked through the paper towel.  Took him to my re=
gular vet who stitched the tail up, and the happy dog was good to go.  The =
Super Glue guy cost me $40.  My vet, who really did some work, cost me $30.=
  So yes, Superglue works sometimes.
--
Christiane Rudolf,
Tanglewood Farm,