[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stud with no coat factor..

  • From: gsd0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:00:25 -0400

If you breed two long coats together all the resulting progent will?be long
coats..... coat inheritance works much the same as color inheritance..... By
the same token you could breed a long coated bitch to my stud dog and you would
never get a long coated puppy because he doesn't carry a gene for it....
however all the resulting progeny would carry a recessive gene?for long
coats.... which is why if you try linebreeding in GV Crunch you will likely get
long coats; because since it was known he didn't carry a recessive for long
coats he was bred to many long coat bitches (a perfect example would be GV Polo
who was sired by GV Crunch out of a long coat bitch) and to bitches who carried
the long coat factor.
Gary Lewis
Garter German Shepherd Dogs
Home of: