[ SHOWGSD-L ] stopped for having dogs in the car.........

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:13:25 -0500

This has been circulating on various e-mail lists.  I suppose it's true...in
any case, it's a horrible story and again, if true, it could happen to any
of us.  Just read it all.
Peggy

http://www.magnolia classicjackrusse llterriers. com/2009TrialFly er.pdf

The 10 Year Celebration Magnolia Classic

Jack Russell Terrier Trial I and II
November 14 and 15, 2009
Germantown Charity Horseshow Grounds
Germantown, Tennessee

  Everyone needs to know that a dog club member was stopped by police near
  Birmingham, AL on the way to the Magnolia Classic Trial. The actual law
  enforcement officer was a sheriff's captain for Jefferson County. They
held
  her for 45 minutes on the side of the road with 6 patrol cars flashing red
  lights. She was treated like a criminal. She and her daughter were both
  very
  frightened by the way they were treated. The policeman asked her if she
  knew
  why she was stopped and she told them, "No I don't". He said, "I stopped
you
  because I saw you had dogs in your truck". Her dogs were in secured
kennels
  elevated by a table in the back of her truck to be near the topper
windows.
  Equipment was then stored under the table.

  They said she didn't have water in the dog crates. She explained she had
  just stopped at a rest stop, let all the dogs go to the bath room, offered
  them water and they didn't do well with water in the cups while the truck
  moved. Then she poured water in the cups and none of the dogs drank. He
  then
  said that the back of the truck was not air-conditioned. She pointed out
  that the temps were 58 at the time. Then he said she had inadequate
  ventilation. She told hi m the dog's hair was moving as they traveled and
  there was plenty of ventilation.

  He wanted to know where she was taking the dogs and why they were in her
  truck. She told him she was headed to a dog show. He asked where the show
  was taking place. She stammered and he was sure she was lying. He asked
for
  documentation to prove she was attending a dog show and proof that she was
  entered as a contestant. She didn't have a flyer so she told him to go the
  JRTCA web site and the trial would be listed. He called his main office
and
  had someone go on line to view the site. He told her if she was going to a
  dog show why didn't' she have entry forms with her. She told him that she
  was going to enter when she arrived.

  He looked in the van and asked about the research foundation equipment.
She
  told him what it was and he stated it looked like drug paraphernalia to
  him.
  She showed him paper work for the DNA study to prove the equipment was for
  legitimate purposes.

  He told her he wasn't convinced that it was a proper way to carry her dogs
  and he was going to call animal control to come and investigate. When he
  called them they said they couldn't come for an hour and a half so he took
  photos of her truck and dogs to show to animal control so animal control
  could decide if her set up is acceptable or not. They informed her they
had
  all her information and knew how to contact her if animal control decided
  her set up was inadequate. Fortunately, animal control couldn't come
  immediately so they let her go.

  She had forgotten her brief case with her rabies certificates in them. It
  was the greatest good fortune that they failed to ask. You all need to
know
  that in many areas animal terrorist (nothing they do is right) groups
  are in
  control of animal welfare and of animal control.

  During this event they would not let her daughter get out of the car to
  smoke a cigarette. One officer went to the side of the car after she asked
  and stood there to prevent her from leaving the vehicle. She became very
  frightened and called her father. Then she heard them tell the others to
  turn off the cameras and she became even more afraid. Both were made to
  feel
  like they were in a third world country because they had dogs in the car.

  The following are some of the things that are critical to know to keep
  you &
  your animals safe:

  1. Dog owners need to be alerted to the current climate. Please understand
  this current outrage may be the direct result of the influence of animal
  activist groups disguised as animal welfare ! groups. Law enforcement is
on
  board with them in many areas because they view them as experts. HSUS
gives
  law enforcement positive press. HSUS donates money to many reelection
  campaigns. Some officials have been given nice jobs with HSUS when they
  retired from public office.

  Animal Terrorists are succeeding in getting laws passed that restrict our
  freedoms of animal ownership. Their influence is sometimes apparent among
  public officials at every level including law enforcement and animal
  control.

  If you read Saul Alinsky - "Rules for Radicals" you will see the method
  they
  use to enact new laws that seem so warm-and-fuzzy but in reality are aimed
  directly at each of us. They don't want us to have (pet owners you are not
  exempt) or breed animals and they are willing to do anything to stop us -
  lie, cheat, steal.

  According to Alinsky "Rules for Radicals", to affect radical change,
First:
  you create a problem (out of thin air). Animal Terrorists have created the
  language which includes the term "puppy mill", "back yard Breeder", "hobby
  breeder", "vanity breeder", "basement breeder". The uninformed jump on the
  band wagon and the next thing you know commercial breeders just breed
  another litter of pups to offset new costs while you and I are forced to
  become criminals, give up our dogs, or to sign away our constitutional
  rights in order to have a dog.

  2. Keep your dog papers in your vehicle when you travel with your
  animals. I
  can't stress this enough. I've been guilty of driving without them but no
  more. It could cost you thousands of dollars, or worse you could lose your
  dogs. Your dogs could be taken into custody to a pound till you could get
  your papers to show authorities. You would be powerless to stop them.
  Meanwhile, no telling what they would be subjected to in that environment.
  Further, some communities/ states have laws that state any animal
  confiscated
  and taken to a shelter mus! t be spa yed or neutered before it is
returned.
  These things might be fought against in court but your animals would
  already
  be spayed or neutered, or even euthanized, before you could win in
  court. It
  has happened to others. Eventually some others have won in court but their
  animals were all already dead, spayed, neutered, and/or sold to pet people
  that "rescued" them from the shelter (who happened to make a chunk of
   change off your stolen dogs and from the PR of having "rescued" them).

  3. Stay Street-Legal. Make sure your car is travel worthy before any trip.
  No lights burned out, no out-of-date inspection sticker, etc. Give them no
  reason to stop you for a minor infraction. The constitution still protects
  us against illegal search and seizure without probable cause. Above all DO
  NOT SPEED. If you are in a big hurry, leave earlier. Giving the police a
  right to stop you under color of law has officially just gotten way more
  expensive.

  Apparently our fellow club member was stopped unconstitutionally - IMO.
  Right or wrong, she was victimized only because they could see her dogs in
  her car. It is a sad state of affairs when our constitutional rights can
be
  violated because we have a visible dog in the car. Sadly, you might have
  consider this when you get your next vehicle.

  4. Buy or borrow a video camera. Video tape your dogs kennels, the
  condition
  of the kennel, your dogs' condition, water containers, bedding, etc. Have
  video of your dogs competing at a dog show. If animal control shows up
  video
  tape the entire event. If they take your dogs, go to the shelter & video
  tape the place they take them if possible. One fellow in AL with show pit
  bulls did this and he got his dogs back.

  5. Keep a contact person's number in your cell phone. If you get into a
  situation like the one that happened near Birmingham you might need
someone
  to call that can send help. We need to develop a system of hot lines
  through
  out the country so a volunteer in each state or area could come to help in
  an emergency.

  6. JRTCA members and the Magnolia Group should join with the My Dog My
  Choice members and contact the elected state officials for AL and the
  Birmingham Chamber of Commerce &/or Jefferson County officials to lodge a
  formal written complaint. We need to organize a letter writing campaign. I
  will create a sample letter and get us addresses to use. Email me at
  mbyrd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for this information.

  If an area gets the reputation of being in an unsafe place for dog
  owners to
  travel, exhibitors will not attend events in that area. The person that
had
  been victimized went home through Birmingham after dark and went to a
  different town to spend the night because she was afraid. Even then she
was
  afraid in the motel so close to the area.

  It is bad for the local economy to lose a source of revenue. How many
  people
  would go to the GA trial, for instance, if they worried about traveling
  through AL? Dollars spent in a community roll over 9 times in that area.

  Having a dog in the car does not automatically make us criminals and
remove
  our 4th amendment rights against illegal search and seizure.

  7. Just so you know, TN is the state where police shot a man's dog and
  victimized his family when he accidentally left his wallet on top of his
  car. They thought the money blowing off was evidence that he was a robber.
  The man has won a suit in court over it but his dog is dead, his wife and
  children are traumatized and his knee is permanently injured.

  In LA a man's pit bulls were taken and killed within 24 hours. He proved
he
  was innocent in court but all his animals were already dead. He is suing.

  The newest hype they are introducing as another "First create a problem"
is
  the idea that dogs have a larger carbon foot print than an SUV. Think that
  is too far out to be believed or to matter? Will you still think so if
they
  pass a law which requires you to pay a Cap and Trade tax to keep your dog,
  or a national limit on the size and number of dogs you can own?

  You can't begin to imagine the things I'm reading about the
  victimization of
  animal owners & the loss of our freedom of animal ownership in communities
  all over the USA. We must all wake up and become proactive before it gets
  any worse.

  Don't be sucked into any of the animal terrorists' agendas (like puppy
mill
  bills etc). And for heaven's sake don't send money to any of them or let
  your families and friends do so. It's not just the commercial breeder.
It's
  not just the pit bull people. It is not just the other guy. It is your
  personal freedom of quiet enjoyment with your animals and it is happening
  TODAY. We can stand together or we can all fall one by one. Think about it
  please.